Canadian Asset Buyers & Fine Jewellers offers superior appraisals that are competitively priced. Appraisals prepared by our experienced staff conform to current professional appraisal standards and practices.
For over thirty years, Michael Stern, our Registered Master Valuer, Appraiser and GIA Graduate Gemologist, has been providing his expertise to major law firms, government agencies, national jewellery chains, international auction houses, fine independent jewellers, and individuals.
We offer the following Appraisal Services:
- Gemological Consultation – verbal information regarding what you have and it’s approximate value;
- Insurance Appraisal – written documents for insuring your jewellery;
- Estate Appraisal – written documents for valuing estates and inheritances;
- Fair Market Appraisal – written documents for divorce/separation, selling, barter, bankruptcy, etc.;
- Liquidation Value – written documents for using items as collateral;
- Customs & Travel – written documents for travel purposes;
- Gem Identification, Grading, & Damage Reports – written documents providing detailed and specific gemological information;
- Gem & Jewellery Photography – digital photos to provide a photographic record;
- Gemological Lab Reports – written documents from an independent lab such as the GIA;
- Damage Reports – Our written documents help your insurer settle your claim related to chipped diamonds, scratched gems, etc.; and
- Expert Witness – documentation or in person testimony for legal proceedings;
The International Diamond Grading SystemTM and the 4Cs of diamond quality were developed by the Gemological Institute of America (GIA) to set the standard for grading and identification practices worldwide. The 4Cs are used by GIA Gemologists to measure the following characteristics of a diamond:
Colour: A colour grade is assigned to measure the absence of colour using the GIA colour scale which ranges from D (colourless) to Z (light yellow or brown). Colour is assessed in a controlled lighting and viewing environment.
Clarity: The clarity scale contains eleven grades (ranging from flawless to I3) based on internal and surface characteristics that are visible under 10x magnification.
Cut: Cut is graded from Excellent to Poor based on the overall appearance and quality. Cut quality grades are only available for standard round brilliant diamonds that fall within the GIA colour range.
Carat Weight: The standard unit of weight for unset diamonds, and other gemstones, is measured using a highly precise electronic scale and rounded to the nearest hundredth of a carat.